YOUR HAIR IS…EVERYWHERE! Those luscious locks from pregnancy fall out it seems like in huge clumps around 5-6 months postpartum. Is this normal? What can I do to prevent it? Keep reading below to find out more!
Hair loss post-pregnancy is NORMAL! Our bodies (along with our prenatal vitamins) work on double time to literally grow another (or two or three +!) humans. Hormones are to blame for both the growing and the shedding.
What’s the best way to battle postpartum hair loss? Here are Kate’s tips:
Tip 1: Wash your hair less
- This can be hard with all the postpartum hormones making your hair super greasy, but using a dry shampoo between washes will help keep your hair looking and feeling thicker.
- Use a clarifying shampoo like this Malibu Hardwater shampoo to remove grease and product build up at least once a week. This helps refresh my hair and scalp, use less products, and go longer between washes. Must have!
- Follow up with a shampoo for fine hair in order to not weigh your hair down. This Kevin Murphy Angel Wash and Angel Rinse also comes in a lavender version for blondes. It’s worth the splurge! For budget friendly, try this MONDAY volume shampoo!
- Using a wide toothed comb after letting your conditioner set will help detangle without pulling out extra strands. For dry hair, this Wet Brush is a must!
- I love this shower cap for in between washes!
- A SILK PILLOW. That’s right. It’s life changing and your hair will be the same as you left it when you wake up. Plus, the silk doesn’t pull at your hair and helps prevent more hair loss. My favorite mom hack!
Tip 2: Nourish from within
- With the OK from your provider and/or if you are breastfeeding/pumping, continue your prenatal vitamins. I love this Mary Ruth’s prenatal and postnatal liquid multivitamin – it’s easy to take and has vitamins and minerals that can be used for all pre, during and post pregnancy. Prenatal vitamins contain biotin which will help with hair regrowth. If you want a standard women’s daily vitamin, I like this one from MyKind as well.
Tip 3: Products!
- Dry shampoo is a must and Batiste is used on the daily here. By far the best dry shampoo I’ve used! Spritz at the roots holding about 6 in away from your scalp, then rub in gently with your fingers, finishing with a brush.
- These Kitsch hair bands are gentle on hair while giving volume in a pony tail.
- I love this pony tail enhancer – makes your pony tail look voluminous!!
- Kevin Murphy Powder Puff – a little goes a loooooong way! Tap a small amount into your roots and rub in. This powder has a texturizing effect that gives instant volume – love it!
- FLY AWAYS! THE WORST! Try this hair mascara helps with the regrowth you’ll see around your hairline at 6-8 months postpartum. If you’re not breastfeeding/pumping, ask your hair stylist about a keratin treatment for this area to help relax the small, whispy hairs.
**The good news – your hair will go back to normal! If you’re having extreme loss or bald patches, contact your provider. In rare cases, this can be a sign of a thyroid problem.
Other helpful blog posts:
- Hormonal acne remedies
- Kate’s favorite TTC, pregnancy and breastfeeding safe products
- How to conceive simplified
- Period after baby
- Sex after baby
- 13 things no one told you about postpartum
- Simple purees for beginners
**This post is educational and not meant to take the place of your provider. Bumblebaby makes a small commission on some of the items listed above