Skin can really change while trying to conceive, pregnant and breastfeeding. Hormones can make your usual skin go haywire! But it’s also important to know what skin care products are safe during these times. Kate has listed her favorite pregnancy safe skin care products (including makeup, sunscreen, cleaning products, etc.) that are SAFE to use while trying to conceive, pregnant and breastfeeding below!
Bear with me folks, there is a lot of information and BeautyCounter links. I know BeautyCounter isn’t for everyone (not lying when I didn’t think it was for me either), but I think it’s something you should know about as a pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding parent. BeautyCounter is committed to creating safe and clean products – it’s a brand I trust and I wouldn’t push it if I didn’t. THAT BEING SAID! There are many clean and safe products and alternatives so I am sprinkling in my favorite budget friendly ones as well. ALWAYS check with your provider before using any products.
Resourceful websites for products you may already own:
- Environmental Working Group (EWG) – Safety ratings of personal and household products
- Think Dirty App and Skin Safe App – scan and learn about ingredients in your personal and household products
- CosDNA and SkinCarisma – cosmetic product ingredients
- LactiMed – safety of medications while pregnant and breastfeeding
For me, I don’t wear a ton of makeup. So it was more important to me to change up my skin care, which is why I have so many options listed here!
Face (pregnancy safe skin care)
Wondering about acne? Check out our blog post on Hormonal Acne Remedies.
- BeautyCounter Cleansing Balm – Kate’s staple! This balm cleanses without stripping the natural oils off of your face. Skin can change and/or become sensitive or acne prone during TTC, pregnancy and lactation and this is my number one favorite item! I still use it.
TIP: I also use it as a mask when my face feels really dry!
- BeautyCounter overnight peel and the Biossance Resurfacing Mask – It’s nice to have a gentle and safe peel for resurfacing your skin during these times. Your skin texture can change and these products help smooth and rid of the hormonal changes seen on skin. The big difference is the lactic acid in the Biossance Mask vs. glycolic acid in the BC Overnight Peel.
- Tula Cooling Eye Balm – So nice on tired eyes! Cooling and brightening in just the right ways.
- Biossance Rose Facial Oil – A faaaav! This is the only oil that didn’t make my face completely break out – I love how effective the squalene oil is at hydrating without blocking pores. The rose scent is lovely on sensitive noses.
- CounterTime Serum – I know I’m listing a lot of BeautyCounter products, but I do trust the brand and love that they do the research for you. Most of their products are EWG certified and some of the safest products out there. The Countertime Serum and collection is anti-aging and contains very effective retinol alternative called Bakuchiol that is safe for TTC, pregnancy and breastfeeding. This way you don’t have to skip the anti-aging routine for a few years during this time! TIP: If you’re weary of spending on the entire Countertime Collection, start with the serum and add in from there! I personally loved everything besides the Supreme Cream (too rich for my skin and lead to breakouts).
- CounterMatch Lotion and Night Lotion – I much prefer the CounterMatch Nighttime Recovery Cream over the CounterTime Supreme Cream (made me break out!). The CounterMatch line adjusts to what your skin needs – if your skin is dry, it provides moisture and if your skin is more oily, it balances the oil. Highly recommended, especially with hormonal changes!
Budget friendly option: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream – Renée swears by this lotion that her dermatologist recommended for her dry skin (she also has rosacea)
- BeautyCounter Vitamin C and Turmeric Serum – Another BeautyCounter favorite. This brightening serum does wonders for redness, melasma, and dark spots that happen during pregnancy and lactation. I had horrible melasma starting with birth control and worsening with 3 back to back pregnancies. This Vitamin C and Turmeric serum is life changing for rosacea and melasma – use in combination with an overnight peel.
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer – Game changer! This primer not only has SPF, but fills in fine lines and pores to make your foundation go on so much smoother. One of my favorite products!
- Foundation – Clean and goes on smooth!
- Hourglass Concealer – Loved this one!
- Blush – This blush in Pink Sky
- Bronzer – In Faux Tan
- Highlighter – I still use this BeautyCounter illuminating highlighter!
- Mascara – I couldn’t find a clean mascara that I loved – and mascara is my favorite makeup! I continued to use my favorite Trish McEvoy gel mascara and swear by it – it was the one item I didn’t switch.
- Micellar water and makeup eraser towel – Great for getting any extra makeup or dirt off your face after washing it
- CeraVe SA lotion – I always got a condition called keratosis pilaris right after delivery. It’s very common and harmless, but it doesn’t look great! To battle, a lotion with salicylic acid should be used daily – I love this one by Cera Ve. The wash is great too, and budget friendly!
- Honest Body Lotion – Great for kids too! My favorite is the almond or lavender.
- Budget friendly:
- BeautyCounter Citrus Mimosa – A fav for stretching bellies too!
- Budget friendly:
- Schmitt’s Charcoal Deodorant – The best! This natural deodorant contains charcoal, which helps with absorbing sweat.
- Native – Didn’t love this one as much, but many people do!
- Native Shampoo and Conditioner – I love and trust the Native brand! They also have a mint shampoo and conditioner if you’re on the oily side.
- Malibu Hardwater Shampoo – Greasy hormonal hair? I swear by this shampoo once a week. This clarifying shampoo gets rid of greasy, hormonal and product build up from dry shampoo. GAME CHANGER! Follow up with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo – All day, err day.
TIP: Check out Kate’s Must Have Postpartum Haircare here!
- Everyone Lavender Soap – Great for kids, too!
- Tom’s Bar Soap – Still use! Love the almond and rose scent with a brand I trust.
- Dr. Bronner’s Almond – A staple in my house – so versatile! Use for body, kids, dogs, dishes, laundry, you name it! Plus this giant bottle lasts FOREVER because you literally only need a drop. Also comes in lavender, baby, eucalyptus and more
Vitamins and supplements
- Mary Ruth’s prenatal and postnatal liquid multivitamin – If TTC, pregnant/breastfeeding, talk to your provider about taking a daily vitamin. This is easy to take and has vitamins and minerals designed to prepare you body for pregnancy and promote healthy fetal development.
- Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA – If TTC, pregnant/breastfeeding, talk to your provider about taking a daily DHA. This is what I took throughout all my pregnancies and breastfeeding.
- Zoya makes a nontoxic nail polish that is free of the top 10 toxins. I love this super light pink/white color and this other light pink for my hands and this red on my toes!
- Tom’s Toothpaste – I have very soft teeth that were even softer during pregnancy and lactation, so I was advised by my dentist and OB to continue to use a fluoride toothpaste. You should check with your prodiver and dentist about using fluoride during pregnancy and lactation. I used a soft bristle toothbrush too since gum bleeding is common during pregnancy and lactation due to hormonal changes. It’s super important to floss, too!
- Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen
- ALL. TIME. FAV. Must have! Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen goes on so smooth and is clear – so no mineral deposits or white streaks. I use this every day in the sunny months on my face and neck! It’s so important to wear sunscreen during pregnancy and lactation because hormones can lead to melasma and dark spots.
- BeautyCounter – TBH, I don’t love the other BeautyCounter sunscreens, but I do love this one because it’s lightweight and not oily.
- Babo – Love this sheer and clean sunscreen, too! Great for kids and sensitive skin.
- ThinkBaby – Another great and budget friendly option.
- Puracy – I love this brand! A little goes a long way as it’s concentrated. Plus, it’s very effective.
- Puracy Stain Remover – THE BEST! So effective and clean for those baby and toddler stains. Pro tip – rub it in and let it sit for 4-6 hours before washing for tough stains.
- Seventh Generation – Another staple that I love and trust.
- Vinegar – Good old vinegar! Add a cup in for mildewy towels or to refresh your linens.
- Branch Basics Oxy Boost – Another brand I love! This clean oxyboost is great for keeping your colors bright.
- Seventh Generation Dish Soap – This is the only clean soap that actually gets grease and breastmilk/formula residue off. I love the Lavender scent.
- Seventh Generation Dishwasher Pods – The only clean pods that actually work!
I am a tea lover! Talk to your OB/provider about caffeine intake (I always had one cup a day). Here are my favorite decaf teas:
I don’t wear a ton of perfume, but I love the Fresh line and their roll-on sugar lemon perfume smells so amazing and is clean to wear while TTC, pregnant or breastfeeding! Since I don’t wear a ton of perfume, I love a good essential oil roll!
Favorite essential oil roll-on:
- Rosemary – Try combining with eucalyptus!
- Try peppermint if you’re having trouble with morning sickness or nausea!
I also loved diffusing essential oils (still do!). This is my favorite diffuser.
Favorite essential oil combos:
- Lavender + Lemon
- Lavender + Eucalyptus
- Eucalyptus + Rosemary
- Tea Tree + Eucalyptus
- Rosemary + Peppermint
TIP: For more clean perfumes, check out this list from Sephora!
Have you seen our period post?
- Menstrual cups – If you’re TTC or breastfeeding, you may want to think about switching to a silicone menstrual cup in lieu of tampons (or even just to organic tampons). Tampons are known to have many toxins!
- Organic tampons
- Organic pads
Other helpful blog posts:
- Hormonal acne remedies
- How to conceive simplified
- Period after baby
- Sex after baby
- Batting postpartum hair loss
Have more questions? Schedule a text or video chat consult with Kate, Lauren or Natalie (NICU RNs) and they can help answer any questions that you have!
**This post is educational and not meant to take the place of your provider. Bumblebaby makes a small commission on some of the items listed above