At Bumblebaby, we offer feeding consultations that don’t need to revolve around lactation/breastfeeding. A feeding consultation can include formula, solids, weaning, and more. Read on to learn about what’s included in a feeding consultation.
Client: “I think I want to introduce bottles and maybe some formula early but I heard this can ruin my breastfeeding journey.”
Us: “Guess what! We can help come up with a plan that works with your feeding goals and incorporates whatever methods of feeding you want!! And adding bottles and formula early will NOT ruin a breastfeeding journey!”
We have had countless clients reach out for consults with this scenario and when the consultation is over there is an evolving plan established that meets the client’s expectations and feeding goals. This is one example of a client wanting to meet before baby is born but we obviously meet tons of parents once baby has arrived too! Believe us, there are SO many options for feeding. The feeding plan can be adapted as time goes on depending how parents are feeling mentally, emotionally and physically. We are here for YOU AND BABY!
What is included in a breastfeeding/feeding consultation from Bumblebaby??
- During a virtual feeding consult we meet for 30 minutes to go over your goals, come up with a plan and teach you feeding techniques and tips before your baby arrives. We also offer in-home for Chicagoland residents.
- After the virtual meeting, we send you a comprehensive, personalized careplan that outlines everything that was discussed. Included in the careplan are pictures, links, schedule examples and more to make the plan easy to follow yet detailed enough to ensure success.
- Two weeks of unlimited texting is also included with this consultation. This is so valuable as questions about feeding come up they can be answered in real time. Many clients will start their two weeks once baby arrives if they are doing their consultation before delivery.
One of the biggest takeaways we try to convey to parents is that a feeding journey is not “one size fits all”. We make sure to take into consideration what is important to parents, their goals, what is sustainable for parents depending on their situations and that breastfeeding/lactation DOESN’T HAVE TO BE ALL OR NOTHING!! It can even look different between babies in the same family. Your feeding consultation will reflect that.
- “I want to incorporate one bottle a day”
- Great! Let’s make it happen. Here is our suggestion on the best time of day to give your baby a bottle based on what you are telling me.
- “I only want to nurse at night and do bottles during the day”
- Great here is how we suggest you do this and what this will look like schedule wise.
- “Will adding a bottle ruin nursing?”
- Nope! Here are some techniques to try to make a seamless transition from breast to bottle for your baby
- “Can I only nurse a few times a day”
- Yes you can!! We can help.
- “I have a toddler at home and am nervous about feeding”
- We get it! This is what I am hearing your feeding goals are but they can change as the dust settles and everyone adjusts to the new addition. Let’s come up with a few feeding plans so you feel prepared.
- “I feel guilty but nursing is so overwhelming, how can I wean and add formula?”
- It can be so overwhelming here is how we can achieve this goal. This is what your weaning plan will look like. This is what your formula introduction plan will look like. You are a great parent and enjoying your baby without the stress of feeding is so important. We are proud of you for advocating for yourself and therefore your baby!!
A happy, healthy parent means a happy, healthy baby no matter what the feeding journey looks like. Personally, this is a statement that truly hits home for me. I was so stressed out about making sure my twins had breastmilk for as long as possible that I completely missed out on their first year of life. That time, those memories, I will never get back and I always think about, was it worth it…? Looking back at pictures, I do not even remember those moments because I was so depleted, exhausted and in complete survival mode. I wish I knew then what I know now. My first year as a mother would have been a lot different. The experience I had is something that is in the back of my mind all the time when I am working with parents because there is more to parenthood than just feeding. We at Bumblebaby want to make sure the feeding plans are sustainable and healthy for both the baby AND the parents! We want to make your feeding experience positive with a feeding consultation.
There are a lot of challenges as a new parent or as a parent expanding their family. Feeding does not have to be one of those stressful tasks to navigate. We want to make your transition into parenthood as seamless as possible and offer support and advice when you need it. We are here to help no matter what the situation may be.
Reach out and book a consultation – we would love to hear from you!
Other blog posts you will love:
- What’s included in a bottle consult?
- Correctly bottle feeding your baby and why it’s important
- High lipase breastmilk and how it relates to bottle refusal
- How to supplement with formula
- Everything you need to know about acid reflux
- Transitioning from formula to milk
- Everything you need to know about formula