Make your home as safe as possible during the holiday season! Here are 8 ways you can baby and toddler proof your home for the holidays in the most fun and safest way. Here are some tips to proof your home from common safety hazards when you have littles running around!
- Use a wide base stand for stability.
- Avoid tinsel and bells while you have littles. These are choking hazards!
- Consider a fake tree for a few years. Avoids allergens and EASY CLEAN UP!
- Use shatterproof ornaments. If you have your favorites and they are not shatterproof, place them at the top of your tree and out of reach of curious hands!
- String LED lights close to the trunk. LED lights do not get as hot as regular lights. Try wrapping the trunk – keeps hands from pulling and it looks so pretty!
- Give your toddler their own mini tree or felt tree to decorate. These tiny LED string lights are so pretty and make for easy decorating since they run on a battery. Colorful shatterproof ornaments are fun, too! If you don’t celebrate Christmas or you don’t decorate a tree, this felt snowman is also adorable!
- Place a baby gate (or this budget friendly one) around the entire tree. Great for pets, too!
- Mount the tree to the wall using heavy fishing wire or metal wire and furniture mounts.
Use caution with the candles on the Menorah. Place high up and out of reach of children. These faux and flickering candelabra sticks are really pretty and a safe alternative while kids are little.
Stocking hanger weights
Kids often pull down these heavy weights. The weights can cause some pretty serious head injuries! Use these command strips instead.
Keep candles up high or try these fake candles with a flicker that look so real!
A fireplace screen is a must – holiday or not! Kids can accidentally fall in or touch hot parts of fireplace. Place a gate around your entire fireplace. Avoid using a metal gate as they can get HOT! Try this gate (also can work for your tree). We also love this decorative fireplace screen!
Holiday runner or heavy decor
Kids may accidentally pull the runner down and there’s often heavy, hot and/or sharp objects on the table. Skip the runner until the kids are a bit older or move to a fun spot, such as a kitchen island where they cannot reach.
Small pieces and food safety
This post isn’t meant to be a downer, just to inform! HAVE FUN!
**This post is educational and not meant to take the place of your provider. Bumblebaby makes a small commission on some of the items listed above