Kate’s favorite sleep products that she chose for her third baby’s arrival, Roey!
With baby #3 ALMOST here, I have been nesting like crazy! I redid my office, the living room, and now on to Bee/the new baby’s room! We have three bedrooms upstairs, so two of the kids will end up room sharing. I thought a lot about room configurations – Bee and Finn together (leading to late night jumping sessions in Bee’s crib), Finn + the baby together (just way too dangerous), so we ended up going with Beesie and the baby together – the safest option available! Haha.
I am planning on having the baby in our room for about 6 weeks – this is when both Finn and Bee started sleeping through the night. That way, baby won’t wake up Bee (who is my good sleeper!).
Bee’s room is still pretty girly as of now, and even if the baby is a boy, we can add some navy!
When choosing products for baby #3, there are a few things I wouldn’t budge on. As a sleep consultant (click here to read why I love Moms on Call) and NICU nurse, you all know that I am a STICKLER for safe sleep – both with products and with actions! Which is exactly why I chose the DaVinci Jenny Lind Cribs and the Newton Mattress.
Remember your SAFE SLEEP ABC’s:
IN CRIB (or bassinet with NOTHING but a fitted sheet and sleep sack)
***No plush bumpers or inclines. Once baby can independently roll to their tummy, it is then safe for them to sleep on their tummy. Always place baby down on their back.
Be sure to check out my blog post on how to safely use baby “containers” for more info!
Why I Chose the Jenny Lind Crib
It was of high importance to me to have a non-toxic crib that was also gender neutral and attractive. The DaVinci Jenny Lind crib is made of non-toxic materials and is a Greenguard Gold Certified crib, plus the design is so cute!
Greenguard is a company that evaluates products and keeps a database of those products and materials that have low chemical emissions. The Jenny Lind Crib (and all DaVinci cribs!) are GOLD certified by Greengaurd, which is the highest standard. Read more here.
- Signature spindle posts and intricate details define the style of the DaVinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Crib
- Constructed of New Zealand pine wood and CARB II compliant MDF
- Finished in non-toxic multi-step painting process
- Features 4 mattress positions to adjust as your child grows
- Converts to toddler bed with the use of a conversion kit (sold separately)
- Optional wheels included (we didn’t use them)
- Slat strength: 135 lb.
- Meets ASTM international and U.S. CPSC safety standards
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified-screened for 360 VOC’s and over 10,000 chemicals
Since both of my kids loved to teethe on the crib (ugh!) the non-toxic materials will help ease my mind.
How cute are their matching cribs?!
Why I Chose the Newton Mattress
The Newton Mattress is the first 100% breathable, washable, and made of non-toxic ingredients and is ALSO Greenguard certified. Use code NB50 for a discount.
- 100% Breathable. The mattress itself is 90% air and 10% food grade polymer, so even when baby sleeps face down (if you haven’t been through this stage you soon will!) they are able to properly and safely breathe.
- 100% Washable. The ENTIRE mattress, cover to core, can be washed. Goodbye allergens, accidents, and mold! The only mattress of this kind on the market. The cover is machine washable and you can wash the inner part in the bathtub or shower.
- Non-toxic materials. Greenguard certified! The patented Wovenaire core of the Newton Mattress is 90% air and 10% food-grade polymer and provides the comfort of foam and latex without any of the drawbacks.
- Infant and toddler approved. No need to buy a new mattress for your toddler!
- Breathable cover. 3-D Spacer Cover. Two layers of “Breathe-Thru” spacer fabric are quilted together in a pattern to create soft pillows of air.
- Do I need a sheet over the Newton? You don’t need one, but you can add a muslin sheet on top.
OLDIES BUT GOODIES:
The Ollie Swaddle is the new rage! Definitely want to try it out for myself. And…I loved it with Ro! It’s sold out almost everywhere (as of January 2021).
The Happiest Baby Sweetpea swaddle is well loved and the zipper makes it ideal for a full-proof swaddle.
I STILL use this for Finn and Bee – it’s my favorite sound machine! I love that it gets SUPER loud to drown out noises in my house (the dog etc) and that I can control it from an app on my phone. For Finn, the “OK to wake” feature and amber light work so well for him. I even travel with them! I prefer the first generation (without the clock) because it has to be plugged in and doesn’t run on a battery. Plus, it’s cheaper!
If you haven’t crossed over, these pacifiers are the best. The latex and soft center allow baby to properly latch as opposed to the traditional hard silicone and actually stay in baby’s mouth.
I have used the Summer Infant monitor for both kids – you can add on monitors which is nice! The Nanit is also a popular monitor that I like – the only thing I prefer about the Summer Infant is that it’s NOT wifi! My anxiety can’t handle being able to peek in on baby when I am out of the house and at work, so being disconnected was a better route for me.
I’m going to keep the Cloud in the main room for safe sleep during the day if needed. Have you seen it? It’s SUPER light weight, and made for traveling with backpack straps and wheels to pull behind you. The infant insert allows baby to be a little bit elevated and has a safety zip feature around the entire insert. Use code BUMBLEBABY20 for $20 off $200+ purchase.
What the heck is a Slumberpod? It’s a bottomless portable privacy pod that completely encloses standard playards, mini-cribs, and select toddler cots — giving a baby their own dark and private sleep space, just like at home. (Use code BUMBLEBABY for discount). See my post here.
I have a feeling most of baby 3’s naps are going to be on the go with two crazy toddlers on hand. I love the Sollybaby because it is SO soft and forms right to a newborn. I always preferred this to the Ergo in the beginning when the baby is super tiny – it just hugs them better!
We have a Pottery Barn bassinet that has been passed down throughout my family – so I’m sticking to it! If you think you’ll be traveling, I love this portable bassinet by Dream on Me. It has safe, mesh, breathable sides and the legs come off, folds right up into a travel bag. Great for grandparents’ house (this is what is at my parents’ house for Roey!) These bassinet fitted sheets are a standard size and fit most bassinets.
Between two toddlers and a barking dog, we will need all the help we can get! These curtains will do double duty for blackout shades and noise reduction.
These Honest Overnights are the most absorbent in my experience – they are well worth the money! The extra absorbency helps keep baby dry and sleep longer, especially when they start sleeping longer stretches at night.
I am starting a routine with baby 3 ASAP!! Healthy, term babies who are gaining weight can be put on a schedule as early as 2 weeks of age. It will help my sanity and promote good sleep for baby at the same time. Then, all three kids can nap simultaneously!! HEAVEN! Curious how I’ll do this? See my Moms on Call post here and don’t miss our recorded sleep webinar! UPDATE: I started Roey on a schedule at 2 weeks and she was sleeping 12 hours at night by 6.5 weeks.
- Kate’s super swaddle method e-guide walks you through Kate’s swaddling steps and gives you tips for dropping the swaddle when that time comes!
- Successful sleep 0-3 months e-guide helps you to get sleep on the right track through the first few months of sleep (including naps and sleeping through the night!).
Have more questions? Schedule a text or video chat consult with Kate, Lauren or Natalie (NICU RNs) and they can help answer any questions that you have!
Watch Kate’s sleep workshop! Kate is a certified sleep consultant and NICU RN and hosted a crash course on how to ensure successful sleep in your infant 0-4 months. The recorded version is available below to purchase!
Moms on Call: Want to find out more about Moms on Call? Check out my blog post here about why I am a sleep consultant.
***This post is educational and not meant to take the place of your provider. Bumblebaby makes a small commission on some of the items listed above